Emerald Resources NL is committed to doing the right thing by the environment. Emerald operates in a responsible manner and recognises that whilst mining has an unavoidable impact on the environment, through best practice management and strong environmental stewardship impacts can be minimised and long-term legacy issues mitigated. Emerald implements safe and sustainable environmental practices and manages risk across all projects. Each of the Company’s exploration and mining projects is implementing a site-specific Environmental Management Plan.
Emerald is aligning its business to the to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s). Emerald has identified 13 of the 17 SDG’s, plus a localised 18th Goal “End the negative impact of mines/ERW and promote victim assistance”, where key performance indicators can be selected to align to targets within those goals. Work will continue to define internal targets for future monitoring and inclusion into the Annual Report.
The Okvau Gold Project is to have a net positive impact on near-mine environmental values via:
- Targeting strict compliance with corporate governance, international guidelines (IFC Performance Standards) and local laws;
- The introduction of “Environmental Bonding” concept to Cambodian Government;
- Significant annual payments to Environmental, Social and Endowment funds for life-of-mine;
- Work with the mining industry to lift the benchmark for environmental and social performance of all mining and exploration companies;
- Implementation of the Biodiversity Offset project within the Phnom Prich Wildlife Sanctuary; and
- Development of a climate strategy, including carbon neutrality targets and pathways, including a carbon offset project.
The Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the Okvau Gold Project was approved by the Ministry of Environment (MoE) in November 2017. The ESIA was prepared by Cambodian and Australian consultancies: E&A Consultant Co. Ltd and Earth Systems and can be viewed at:-
The Annual Sustainability Report showcases how Emerald Resources has been advancing its environmental, social and governance goals in the past financial year. This report should be read in conjunction with information contained in the corresponding Annual Report, where you can find more details about Emerald’s financial performance and strategy.