The Okvau project is to have a net positive impact on near-mine social values by engaging and collaborating with all stakeholders in the Project area by:-
- Establishing and contributing to a fund for Community Development for the benefit of the community in the Project Area:-
- Seek the support of major suppliers and contractors to also contribute to the fund;
- Fund governed by a committee of local senior stakeholders including a company representative, NGO and/or local community organisation;
- Applications from local community will be assessed in accordance with community needs;
- Continued stakeholder engagement for the life of project.
Recent Social Initiatives
- PPWS Partnership including commitment to provide 8 new Rangers and a hut to increase monitoring & enforcement capacity within Okvau area;
- School Nursery initiative as a way for students to raise funds for their school, to increase environmental awareness in young people and provide trees for future rehabilitation activities;
- An Industry Partner supporting the Lion Water Sanitation Initiative in Obenlieu Commune, installing latrines and water filters in homes;
- Financial support to various organizations and community events.